No BUAC club run this weekend it is the South Bendigo Invitation. Location is the usual place – Woodvale Rec Reserve, Woodvale with the usual fairly flat course in the nearby bush.
To get there head out through Eaglehawk toward Raywood and about 4km out as the forest ends, turn right into Janaway Street. Distances & start times are 6.5km at 2pm, 3.2 km at 2.05 and 1k at 2.50pm. Entry fee 6.5km = $7, 3.2km = $5, 1km = $3 Heaps of age categories and prizes. All the details are posted on BUAC FB.
For new members there are 4 Aths Vic affiliated clubs in Bendigo and each club holds an annual ‘invitation’ and all the other club members head along. Good friendly fun. We go to theirs and they come to ours.
A fantastic time was had by all at the O’Keefe Challenge with numerous epic efforts, Ekiden enjoyment and aid station mayhem. A big thankyou to Jenny Lee’s sister Bethany who was our qualified 1^st aider all day and well done to everyone who helped out at some stage.
The O’Keefe is not a road marathon and not a trail run – it’s something in between that happens at our back door with a road beside so you can drive along and support your friends and/or family members the whole way. Highly recommended event if you weren’t there and well done also to Nigel Preston Race Director and Craig Green who performed his usual sterling behind the scenes work.
At AV Jells Park last Saturday BUAC was represented by Andy B, David & Matt Heislers, Kye Jenkyn & new member Glen McMillan. Hopefully we will see Glen on the BUAC trails soon & well done to Andy who was 2nd fastest overall after some blow in called Ryan Gregson
this week with ……………….John Robinson
- Where were you born? Mordialloc, Melbourne
- What schools did you go to? Numerous primary schools starting at St Marys, Mentone before finishing at St Monica’s, Kangaroo Flat High school at Catholic College Bendigo and completed a Bachelor of Geological Engineering at RMIT
- Favourite food? Penang Curry
- Favourite film? Not a movie person at all
- Do you listen to music/podcast when you run? I did when I first started but not anymore. Once or twice a year I will listen to music to realise I prefer not to.
- Preferred running shoes? Assics Trabuco, but given how many brands I have, I guess I am still trying to find the perfect one
- Which watch do you use and why Suunto Ambit 2 for battery life and because it is lightening fast at finding GPS….unlike my old Garmin that could take minutes
- Favourite event you have done? Bogong to Hotham 64km – Awesome scenery and extremely well organised for a smaller event. This was an especially memorable event due to some trying family affairs at the time, coming off injury and extremely hot conditions. UltraTrailAustralia – Katoomba in the Blue Mountains, again because an amazing location and well organised for such a large event.
- Have you always been a runner or what got you started? Started about 5 years ago to lose some weight (29kg) but now I’m hooked on trails
- Describe your current weekly training plan. Currently coached by Andy De Bios from Mile 27. Around seven hours a weeks as I approach my next run in three weeks being the UTA100 in May. Consists of five sessions (two rest days); two easy runs or 75 and 30 minutes, hills or stairs session of 60 minutes, intervals of 60 minutes, long run (3 to 4 hrs of hills at present).