BUAC running this weekend is the Rifle Range Rattle. For new members to get there head east out toward Axedale on McIvor Highway. Turn left into Popes Road at Junorton where the pub is/was burned down. Heading north around 2 bends you will hit some forest and see a BUAC sign at a road turning right into the forest. If you miss this turn don’t worry you will run into a high, wire army base fence turn right and head east and you will find us this way also. 7.9k Long Course has a couple of modest climbs in the first half but is mostly flat & forested. 3.4k course is pretty flat & fast. Long Course record holder is Nathan Meade with 27.06 in 2015 if anyone is fired about getting a CR. Shayne Rushan & Frances Walshe are course markers. Usual start times apply: ie: 2pm for the Long Course and a bit after 3 for the 3km & 1km.
No superlatives exist for Ross McPhee & Simon Austin who comprised 2 of the 6 finishers from 20 something starters in the Downunder 135 last weekend. A number of the BUAC trail gang did pacing and support at various stages well done all. Lucky with the weather compared to tomorrow.
AV XCR – Jells Park
For all the gang planning to run AV XCR at Jells Park next weekend you have to be AV registered by something like Wednesday this week.
Crusoe Charity Run
This Sunday morning there is a charity 5km Fun-Run at Crusoe No.7 Park organised by the Pro Aths Club. Flyer is on the BUAC webpage. $10 entry & prizes should be some good family fun opportunities
Well done to Jon McIntosh knocked out a 10k Fun Run at Calgary, Canada last weekend in Minus 7 temps.
Good luck to Stephen Van Rees doing a marathon on the other side of North America somewhere on Monday.
No BUAC run next weekend. The idea is as many as possible support the O’Keefe event next Sunday. They have also now asked us to help with an aid/drink station in the bush just north of Heathcote. We have a couple of First Aid qualified volunteers which is a reqt. however we need another 3 or 4 (or more) people to fill up water cups etc. & we can split up the day into 2 or 3 shifts. If you are interested in helping please see Ross Douglas or David Lonsdale or Jenny Lee tomorrow or reply to this email. O’Keefe gives the club a donation and if you have never volunteered at an event before it is a lot of fun. Take your kids they do all the work & love high fiving the runners as they go through. It can also be quite motivating along the lines of “I could be doing this those people are no different to me”.
10 questions this week with new Bendigo Triathlon Club & Gazelles supremo Mel Wilkie
- Where were you born? Bendigo
- What schools did you go to? California Gully PS, Eaglehawk Secondary, Bendigo Senior
- Favourite food? Cheese and Bacon Savoury Shapes!
- Favourite film? Dirty Dancing
- Do you listen to music/podcast when you run? Sometimes music on a long run when I need something to take my mind off my tired legs.
- Preferred running shoes? Asics Kayano
- Which watch do you use and why? Garmin 920XT because at the time of purchase it was the only watch I could find that had enough battery life to last a full Ironman (It takes me a really long time!!)
- Favourite event you have done? Ironman Australia in Port MacQuarrie
- Have you always been a runner or what got you started? No I was a horse rider most of my life, I guess it was time I started using my own legs.
- Describe your current weekly training plan. Mostly running at the moment as tri season has wrapped up. 1 x Speed/Interval session, 1 x Tempo run- cross country is great for this, 1 x Long run – about 4.5hr at the moment as training for UTA, 1 x recovery run, 1 x weight session and a swim and a ride if I can fit it in.
Chicken Pox Alert
Andrew Creer reports that their exchange student who ran at Landry Lope last
weekend was diagnosed with Chicken Pox this week and would have been in the
infectious stage last weekend…………..so if you were there maybe keep a close eye
on you and your family. No reports of problems so far.
Heathcote to Bendigo buses
– public comment – Jeff Pethybridge O’Keefe long run concept
PTV have a survey going for comment on the Bendigo to Heathcote bus.
Jeff suggests Bendigo distance runners use the current Heathcote-Junortoun-Bendigo bus timetable survey to lock in services that will allow runners to run back to Bendigo from Axedale , Knowsley and Heathcote along the O’Keefe trail. Sunday morning buses be the obvious choice.
At this time of the year a number of us Goldcoast marathon runners are looking for 20km+ runs.
Running in from one of the above drop-of-points is a very enjoyable training run .
I got dropped off at Knowsley yesterday for my 24km run home. I hope others will fill in the survey if they have input to the times , uses and stops they would like to run from.
Comment via this link https://getinvolved.transport.vic.gov.au/heathcote-junortoun?mc_cid=1ef0a922c0&mc_eid=[UNIQID]
Kevin Devries you might already be on to this..
- April 21 O’Keefe Rail Trail Marathon Festival & Jells Park AV XCR Round 1
- April 28 South Bendigo AC Invite – McDonald Cup Round 1
- April 29 Puffing Billy
- May 5 BUAC Club Run Crusoe Crusade & St Annes Vineyard AV XCR Round 2
- May 12 BUAC Club Run Ham St Hustle
- May 19 Great Ocean Road Marathon & UTA Blue Mountains
- May 26 BUAC Club Run Reservoir Ramble & Cruden Farm AV XCR Round 3
- June 9 Queens Birthday Weekend – no club run – Run Forrest.