One week to go until cross country starts.
Membership is simple now with the online system.
At www.bendigouniathsclub.org.au click on the ‘join now’ tab in the big orange banner at the top of the page and you will be whisked off to BUAC’s Eventbrite page from where it should all be straightforward.
It is much preferred if you register online because this feeds member info straight to the handicapping system. We will have paper forms and accept cash on Saturday’s to help out new members but it creates a bit more work for Andrea & Darren to manually put these regos into the system. Also, remember that If you didn’t run in 2017 or for a couple of years, you have to set a new handicap and hence your 1st 2018 run will not count for aggregate points.
Madison Weekend means Richard Kitt Memorial 1500m handicap race 6pm Saturday night. Be there or be square, here are the entries and handicaps go BUAC!:-
Craig Green has done a very good form guide well worth a read:-
6pm – Saturday 10 March
FLACK ADVISORY RICHARD KITT MEMORIAL 1500 METRE HANDICAP
1st- $200 & trophy & sash, 2nd-$80, 3rd-$40, Fastest Time $40
|No.||FirstName||LastName||Club||Start time after gun|
Not forgetting also Ross Douglas and Nigel Self competing in the Sally Conroy Memorial 200m handicap –heats on Saturday afternoon, final Sunday arvo 3.55PM. Nigel Self is surely a serious chance at this, Ross Douglas well maybe.
Also on this weekend is ‘Grapest’ Inaugural run at Balgownie. Seems a bit exey but there is a band and wine tasting afterwards.
– ‘Custom Wine Cup & Lanyard’*
– ‘Custom Wine Stopper Finishers Medal’*
– 2 hour Live Band
– 8 Wine Tastings*
– Custom Headband
– Current Wineselectors Magazine
– 4.5 hours of grape fun
Good luck to Tullie & Max Rowe, Charlotte & Jasmine Murphy, Phoebe Lonsdale & Isabel and Maurice ‘the champ’ Nihill competing at the Little Aths State Titles this weekend.
Also to Lisa & Bec Wilkinson at Warburton trailfest 21k.
Honourable mentions to Craig Green who did every event at Tom Flood last week and John Robinson and the UTA/trail kings crew who are chalking up some gut busting elevation lately on One Tree Hill & Mt Alexander.
Summer track awards
Great work once again by Ross & Mel for organising this:
|Most Improved Female Athlete||Jorja Van Den Berg|
|Most Improved Male Athlete||David Heislers|
|Long Distance Award||Craig Green|
|Long Distance Award||Melissa Douglas|
|Jumps Award||Hamish Wild|
|Jumps Award||Montanna Maud|
|Throws Award||Anthony Messerle|
|Throws Award||Claire McClenaghan|
|Sprints Award||Ross Douglas|
|Sprints Award||Montanna Maud|
| Medallions |
| Womens 44 x 1500m relay team
Frances Walsh, Leah Cripps, Melissa Douglas, Andrea Smith | | Trophies
- Mens Open 10,000m Bendigo Residential Record – (Zatopek) 29:08:89
- National Achievement Award – Australian Champs Meet – Carrarra 2018 |
(Hurdles awards going begging if someone wants to have a crack in 2019….).
10 questions with Sarah Jalim
- Where were you born? Near Swansea; South Wales, UK
- What schools did you go to? Tal-y -Copa Primary School, Ffynone House (secondary school), then the University of Edinburgh (veterinary science). All in the UK
- Favorite food? Does wine count?
- Favorite film? I have no idea. I never stay awake for the duration of one. Personally, I’d rather a good book.
- Do you listen to music/podcast when you run? Never. I quite like silence.
- Preferred running shoes? Asics. I’ve never really explored anything else
- Which watch do you use and why? It is a Garmin 225. I am a recent convert to a watch; I thought I didn’t like the pressure of time. Then, Ross Evans from the Harriers gave me his old one, and now its my favourite possession. I couldn’t see a reason to change
- Favourite event you have done? For scenery; Great Ocean Road. For atmosphere, the Melbourne Marathon
- Have you always been a runner or what got you started?
I’m a late starter. I have never thought I was athletic in any way. I thought running clubs would be full of intimidating athletes, until I discovered the atmosphere at BUAC
10. Describe your current weekly training plan.
I like programmes, and following them to the letter. At the moment I’m following a programme for the UTA 100 km; its made me realise I don’t like trail running and prefer roads. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to finish it, but I’m loving the training
UP COMING EVENTS
March 17 Eaglehawk Dahlia & Arts Festival school relay comp street race (200m & 400m)
March 17 BUAC season opener College Classic
March 23 AB Summer track presentation evening at The Wellington (please book using AB link)
March 24 BUAC club run Mandurang Meander.
March 31 No club run. Easter and Dragon Mile. To enter the Dragon Mile forms are at Bicknells or go to the Harriers website www.bendigoharriers.com
April 14 Run the Rock
April 21 O’Keefe Rail Trail Marathon Festival
April 28 Puffing Billy
May 19 Great Ocean Road Marathon
June 9 Queens Birthday Weekend – no club run – Run Forrest.